4 cunsifted all purpose flour
2 Tbspbaking powder (i live at a high altitude so you might need to adjust the amount of baking powder))
2 Tbspcooking oil
1 1/2 tspsalt
1 1/4 cwarm tap water
·additional cooking oil
How to Make Indian Fry Bread
- Thoroughly mix togehter the flour, baking powder, 2 tablespoons oil, salt, sugar and warm water. Use hands if necessary to mix dough. Let dough rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Knead dough until smooth and elastic. Roll out dough on a well floured surface to about 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut dough into 3x4 rectangles. Make a small slit in the center of each rectangle with the tip of a sharp knife. ( The bread will fry faster and not get soggy.)
- Heat about 1/2 inch of additional oil in a large skillet over moderate heat. Oil is hot enough when one of the pieces of dough dropped into the oil immediately puffs up and turns golden.
- Using tongs drop the pieces of dough into the hot oil. Turn once and fry until puffy and golden. Drain bread on paper towels.
- This makes more fry bread than needed for my posted Indian Tacos. You can serve leftover bread with honey as a dessert if desired.