Honey Whole Grain Bread/Buns
1- because they are yummy
2- to try to save a lil money and
3- so many options
1- yummy factor over the roof
2- saving money not so much...I eat 3 or 4 times as much bread now...sometimes I just eat buns for every meal and nothing else...so that money saving factor may not be working.
3- so many options means that many more buns laying around to munch on...
So is this a good idea or not...I'm still undecided. lol
I found this recipe in an old Herbergers recipe book...where they collected recipes from their shoppers and some employees too...I found a couple of this recipe books at a garage sale last summer...and there are some pretty good recipes. Love when that happens! :)
Hope you enjoy!
- 2 c
- 2 pkg
- dry yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp
- 1 c
- 1 c
- cottage cheese
- 1 stick
- 2/3 c
- 3 1/2-4 c
- whole wheat flour
- 1 c
How to Make Honey Whole Grain Bread/Buns
- 1In a large bowl combine flour with yeast and salt. Set aside
- 2Heat water, cottage cheese, butter and honey until warm...(115-120 degrees)
- 3Add liquid mixture to flour mixture and mix well. Add eggs to flour mixture. And mix well. Mix on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- 4Stir in whole wheat flour and oats. Mix with dough hook until it comes together NEW, I forgot to add, you made need to add more regular flour at this point. If dough is not coming together and pulling from sides of bowl and starting to form a ball, add 1/2 cup all purpose flour at a time until it is the right consistency, then continue to knead with dough hook 2 more min. or pour out onto floured surface and knead 5-7 min.
- 5Place dough in oiled bowl and flip over to coat other side with oil too. (I use light olive oil) cover with towel, place in warm place and let rise until doubled in size.
- 6Punch down dough and knead a few times. divide into 2 greased loaf pans. Or roll pieces into buns and place on greased baking sheets or into 2 greased 9x13 pans, cover pans with towel and let rise until doubled or size you wish your bread to be. Bake loaves at 350 for 35-40 min...bake buns at 350 for 18-23 min...Remove from oven and brush tops with melted butter.