Honey Wheat Bread
TO MAKE STARTER
1 cwarm water
1 tspactive dry yeast
1 cwhole wheat flour
TO MAKE DOUGH
3/4 cwarm water
2 tspactive dry yeast
1/4 cvegetable shortening, plus 1t.
4 3/4 call purpose flour
How to Make Honey Wheat Bread
- Make the starter. Combine yeast and water in a medium size mixing bowl. Stir until the yeast is fully dissolved. Add flour and stir until thoroughly mixed.
- Cover with a cloth and let stand for exactly 30 minutes.
- Make the dough. Combine water, honey, and yeast in the bowl of a heavy duty stand mixer (fitted with paddle attachment). Stir until the yeast is fully dissolved. Add shortening, flour, salt and starter. Mix until combined then remove paddle attachment and put on the dough hook attachment.
- Mix on low speed until the dough is fully developed. To determine whether it is fully developed, start testing after the dough comes together and leaves the sides of the bowl. To test, stop the mixer and take a small piece of dough and stretch it slowly with thumb and index fingers of each hand. If the dough tears easily, mix it for a few more minutes, and test again. It's fully developed when the dough forms a translucent "window" when stretched.
- Divide the dough into 2 pieces. Roll each into a smooth ball. Place on waxed paper and cover with a warm, damp cloth. Let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes exactly.
- Preheat oven to 400 F now so it will be hot enough when time to bake.
- Form the dough into loaves and place into greased loaf pans. Cover with a warm, damp cloth and let rise for 30 minutes in a warm spot (like on top of the oven).
- Make three scores on the top of each loaf with a sharp knife. Spray with water and bake for 30-40 minutes or until the crust is deep golden brown.
- Remove the bread from the oven and let cool for 30 minutes before slicing. : )