Hand Tossed Pizza Dough
4 cbread flour or all purpose
1 1/2 tspsalt
2 1/4 tspyeast or 1 envelope
2 Tbspolive oil and more for drizzling
1 3/4 cwarm water
Pinchof fresh or dried herbs. i use fresh rosemary, oregano and basil
How to Make Hand Tossed Pizza Dough
- Place all of the ingredients in a large bowl or the bowl of a standing mixer with the dough hook attached. Combine the ingredients until a dough forms. If mixing by hand, turn dough onto a floured surface and knead for 8 to 10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic. If using a mixer, continue kneading on medium speed for 8 to 10 minutes, or until smooth and elastic.
- Place the dough in a large bowl, cover, and allow to rise for 30 minutes to an hour, or until doubled. I do not oil the bowl just cover it with a bowl bonnet.
- When the dough is doubled, turn it onto a flour surface and lightly punch down. Divide it into 3 equal pieces. I only divide into 2 we like a thick large crust. Shape each piece into a smooth ball. Place on a dry towel or piece of parchment, cover with another dry towel and allow to rise for an hour. I use flour sack towels that are 100% cotton and lint free I found these at wal-mart 5 for like 5 bucks and they are great for baking!!
- If using a pizza stone, preheat the oven to 550 degrees. If not, preheat the oven once you begin shaping the pizza. I use a pizza stone for everything lol
- When the balls have just about doubled in size, shape the pizza. Flatten one ball into a disk and i use a rolling pin to get the thickness I want. you can hand press if you prefer but i find it is easier to use the rolling pin
- Place shaped pizza on parchment . Drizzle olive oil around the edge and smear with fingertips and top with your favorite toppings
- Using a cookie sheet or pizza peel, transfer the parchment and pizza to the oven. Bake for one minute, then use a cookie sheet or peel to lift the edge of the pizza and remove the parchment. Continue baking for 5 to 7 minutes.