Granny's Corn Bread
- 1 c
- self-rising white or yellow corn meal (not mix)
- 1 c
- self-rising flour (martha white or white lily for best results)
- 1 Tbsp
- sugar (optional)
- 3 large
- eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 c
- oil (i use canola oil)
- 1 1/4 c
How to Make Granny's Corn Bread
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Put about 1 to 2 tablespoons lard into a 8 to 10 inch
cast iron skillet and place into preheating oven.
- 2In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients. Add eggs, oil and milk. Combine with fork until all ingredients are mixed well. DO NOT USE MIXER!! Batter should be about the consistency of muffin batter. Be very careful not to overbeat.
- 3Remove hot iron skillet from oven. Pour batter into hot skillet and bake for about 25 minutes or until edges are golden brown and are beginning to pull away from pan. Turn out onto a serving plate. Let stand a few minutes before cutting. I always serve this with soups, stews or soup beans. You can also serve hot with honey butter.