How to Make Grandma's Old Fashioned Oatmeal Bread
- In large bowl, pour boiling water over oatmeal and shortening. Let stand until lukewarm.
- Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water and molasses in small bowl.
- Sift flour and salt together.
- Add dissolved yeast to rolled oats mixture, then add flour. Mix well. Knead thoroughly. Brush top with melted butter or oil (I use olive oil). Place in large greased bowl. Let rise until double in bulk, about 2 hours.
- Shape into 2 loaves. Place in buttered bread pans. Spread evenly. Let rise again until nearly doubled in bulk, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Bake in preheated 450 degree F oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 degrees F and bake about 1 more hour.