How to Make Grandma's Old Fashioned Oatmeal Bread
- 1In large bowl, pour boiling water over oatmeal and shortening. Let stand until lukewarm.
- 2Dissolve yeast in lukewarm water and molasses in small bowl.
- 3Sift flour and salt together.
- 4Add dissolved yeast to rolled oats mixture, then add flour. Mix well. Knead thoroughly. Brush top with melted butter or oil (I use olive oil). Place in large greased bowl. Let rise until double in bulk, about 2 hours.
- 5Shape into 2 loaves. Place in buttered bread pans. Spread evenly. Let rise again until nearly doubled in bulk, about 1-1/2 hours.
- 6Bake in preheated 450 degree F oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 325 degrees F and bake about 1 more hour.