Grandma's Iron Skillet Cornbread
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1 1/2 cyellow cornmeal
3/4 cmilk or buttermilk
How to Make Grandma's Iron Skillet Cornbread
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place a small cast-iron skillet on the stove-top and pour vegetable oil in skillet until oil stands about 1/2 inch. Turn the heat on medium high.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine ingredients and stir well. Consistency should not be too runny or too thick (the batter should flow slightly from the bowl.) Add cornmeal and milk gradually as needed to reach desired consistency.
- The oil in the skillet must be hot enough before adding the batter. After 5-7 minutes of heating the oil, test it with a small dollop of the batter. If the batter bubbles well around the sides, remove dollop and pour all the batter into the skillet.
- Carefully grasp skillet handle, shaking the batter in the skillet lightly from side-to-side to even the batter. Immediately place skillet in the oven.
- Allow the cornbread to bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the top of the cornbread is firm.
- Once the top of the cornbread is firm, turn your oven on low broil. Allow the bread to broil until the top is light brown.
- Once the top of the cornbread is light brown, remove from the oven and flip the cornbread upside-down onto a serving plate. Enjoy and don't forget the butter!