How to Make Grandma Carter's Bread
- Mix dry ingredients, cut in shortening. Make a hollow in the center of the dry ingredients.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. Add to the center of the flour mixture.
- Knead until smooth and elastic, adding more flour as needed. This takes longer than you think it should.
- Put in greased bowl and cover. Raise in warm place until double.
- Punch down and turn. Raise again to double.
- Make into rolls or loaves. Let raise again.
- Bake at 375 degrees until golden and sound hollow when tapped.
- Remove from pans to cool. Rub tops with butter while still hot.
- This is the recipe exactly as she told it to me. If you've never made bread before, I would try a different recipe with more detail first. She was better at showing us what to do than explaining all the steps. She's been gone for 10 years now and I think of her every time I make this.