Gluten Free Bread Crumbs
The first time I needed a GF bread crumb... I panicked. I managed to make it through that meal, but was then determined to make my own and keep it on hand in the freezer. Determination pays off... I came up with a wonderful recipe that is easy, and the whole family enjoys. So I can make one meal for everyone!
- 10 slice
- gluten free bread (goodbye gluten is a great option, or use your own homemade)
- 1 1/2 c
- gluten free oats (i use bob's redmill brand)
- 3-4 Tbsp
- italian seasoning (gf) **see note (optional)
- 1 tsp
- minced garlic (optional)
- 1 tsp
- minced onion (optional)
How to Make Gluten Free Bread Crumbs
- 1Side Note... Use whatever gluten free bread you prefer. I use the 'Goodbye Gluten' brand. Substituting may change the taste and texture of the breadcrumbs, as different breads vary widely. (I do use my own homemade GF bread, and have had great results.)
** I do not recommend using shelf stable breads
- 2Break or cut bread slices into quarters. Using a blender or food processor, pulse the bread pieces until crumbs form. You may have to do this in batches, as the breadcrumbs will stick. Set aside in a bowl.
- 3Add GF oats to food processor or blender and pulse until they too, become crumbs.
Add to the bread crumbs and mix well.
- 4Add GF Italian seasoning, minced garlic & onion. (optional if making seasoned bread crumbs)
- 5****Quick Italian Seasoning mix using all GF seasonings.
4 Tablespoons dried basil
4 Tablespoons dried oregano
4 Tablespoons dried parsley
1 Tablespoon garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 6Store bread crumbs in airtight container in the freezer for convenient use.
** Great for meatballs, meatloaf, fried chicken, and any recipe calling for breadcrumbs. (I will be posting some recipes using this recipe)