French Bread Baguettes
It was really easy to make. Just make sure your son put it on the right temperature for a golden brown crust.
Nice and soft on the inside and crisp on the outside.
You can throw about 7-10 ice cubes in the oven when you place dough in oven to bake. Will make the dough nice and authentic.
How to Make French Bread Baguettes
- First activate your yeast... This is actually the first time I worked with yeast and it came out right.
i poured both packets into my mixer bowl and added warm tap water... at least 100 degrees, but not more that 110 degrees or you will kill the yeast.
- add the sugar to the yeast/water mix and give a little wisk to dissolve.
wait about 10 min for it to froth up and you know its ready. If it doesn't froth up then you either killed your yeast or it was inactive at purchase.
- Once the yeast is ready, add the softened butter, and salt. Turn on mixer(using dough hook)
- With mixer on LOW setting, slowly pour in the 7 cups of flour. Once all in mix well for about 2 min.
Dough will be sticky.
- Have a large bowl oiled and ready with about 1/8 cup of Oil in it.. place dough in the bowl and then turn the dough ball upside down so all the dough is covered. Cover with plastic wrap & hand towel Then set in a warm place for an hour to rise.. dough should double or triple in size.
- Once the dough has risen, punch the dough down, divide in half (or thirds is what I did) and set on a floured surface to roll out like a pastry...you may need to flour your hands and rollin pin as needed. Dough will be sticky.Roll into a 12-15 inch rectangle.. about 1/4th inch thickness or less
- Start at the lengthy side and start rolling the dough inside itself, like a fruit roll up, or pinwheel.
- tuck in the ends and place roll on baking sheet that has been oiled and sprinkled with cornmeal. Place on baking sheet with seam side down.
- Repeat steps 6-8 for the rest of the dough.
Then set aside in a warm place to rise again. About 30 min to an hour.
- With a sharp knife, score the loaves diagonally about every 3-4 inches.
- Preheat oven to 450
- With a fork Mix your egg white with a little water (tablespoon) and brush on the loaves.
- Bake in oven for 30 min.
However, I told my son to preheat the oven and he put it on 350 and I never noticed till the end.. it still came out fine.