FOUNDATION ROLL DOUGH
1 cmilk, scalded
1/2 - 1 cmashed potatoes, save 1 cup potato water (collected before you mashed the potatoes)
1 cmashed potato water
2 pkgactive dry yeast
6 largetablespoons butter, lard, or crisco
5 - 6 cflour (or enough to make a soft dough.)
How to Make FOUNDATION ROLL DOUGH
- In a saucepan, scald milk. heating until tiny bubbles appear around the edge of the pan and the milk is steaming hot. Remove from heat and stir in the butter, lard, or Crisco. When melted, stir in the cold, mashed potatoes. Set aside to cool at room temperature.
- In a Glass measuring cup, dissolve yeast in the one cup of warm potato water with one Tablespoon of sugar. Set aside for 5 minutes to proof (Mixture should become foamy if yeast is active.)
- In a large bowl, combine above ingredients with 2 cups of flour, 1/2 Cup sugar, salt, and 3 eggs; beat for 3 minutes. Gradually add and stir in remaining flour until dough ball begins to leave the sides of the bowl (a dough hook may be used to mix in remaining flour and knead the dough if available).
- On a work surface lightly dusted with flour, knead dough until smooth and elastic. Place dough in a large oiled bowl and turn once to coat all sides. Let rise until doubled in size(an hour or two or longer.)
- Punch dough down and make up into your recipe for sweet rolls, crescents, clover leaf rolls, cinnamon rolls etc.
- LET RISE, AGAIN, IN A WARM, DRAFT -FREE PLACE UNTIL DOUBLED.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes (more or less, depending on the size of the rolls) in a pre-heated 350 degree F. oven.