Fluffy white bread
How to Make Fluffy white bread
- Dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water.
- In large bowl, combine sugar, salt, water, and shortening. Add yeast mixture. Gradually add 6 cups of the flour, (add gluten mixed with the flour)to form a soft dough. Spray your hands with oil to keep bread from sticking. Turn onto floured surface and knead until smooth. It can seem a bit gooey sometimes depending on humidity. It's ok to save the 7th cup to sprinkle on the cutting board and the dough to make a nice ball.
- Place in greased bowl. Cover and let rise about 2 hrs. (Note: I've learned that if you don't have a warm oven handy you can place the dough (covered) in a sun beam on your counter. I've, also, used the non-stick foil to cover it with success. If you use plastic wrap, make sure to spray it with no-stick spray.
- After it has risen, punch down. (You can tell it is ready if you gently put your fingers into the dough and the marks remain.)Divide into 2 portions and form loaves.Place in greased bread pans. Prick tops with a fork. Let rise until higher than pans (about 2 hrs.)
- Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes. Cool 10 minutes. Butter tops of loaves. (You can, also, drizzle lightly with honey and then butter.) Place pans on side until loosened. Remove bread and cool completely.