Flour Tortillas-An Experiment
- 2 c
- white pastry flour or unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp
- baking powder
- 1 tsp
- 1 Tbsp
- oil (coconut, grape seed, avocado, sunflower, etc.
- 3/4 c
- gently warmed coconut cream or coconut milk or cow's milk
How to Make Flour Tortillas-An Experiment
- 1Blend the flour, baking powder, salt and oil in the food processor.
- 2Slowly add the warm coconut milk. Process until you have a slightly sticky dough ball. KNEAD for 2 minutes by hand on a floured surface.
- 3Place dough in a bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Set aside for 20 minutes. Do not skip this part.
- 4After the dough has rested, break off 8 sections, roll the sections into balls in your hands. Place the balls on a wax paper-lined jelly roll pan. Cover balls with damp cloth and set aside 10 minutes. Do not skip this part.
- 5After dough has rested, one at a time place a dough ball on a floured surface, pat it out into a four-inch circle, and then roll with a rolling pin from the center until it’s thin and about 8-inches in diameter. Don’t overwork the dough, or it will be stiff. I shaped and cooked one tortilla at a time, making sure to keep the other dough balls covered with the damp tea towel.
- 6In a comal or large cast iron skillet heated on MEDIUM, cook the tortilla about thirty seconds on each side. It should start to puff a bit when it is done. There will be brown specks and spots. Reduce heat if necessary so that the tortillas don't burn.
Keep cooked tortillas covered wrapped in a damp tea towel until ready to eat. I placed the wrapped tortillas on a warming tray in a LOW oven. If by chance you have any leftovers, they can be stored in the fridge tightly wrapped. I placed a lightly dampened tea towel around the tortillas, placed them in a Ziploc-type bag and refrigerated. You want to avoid drying out the tortillas so it is very important to keep them lightly moistened and refrigerated. The tortillas can be reheated in a dry iron skillet, over your gas-burner flame or in the oven wrapped in foil. DO NOT microwave the tortillas when re-heating!