How to Make Finnish Bread
- 1Dissolve yeast in 1/4 c. lukewarm water. Set aside.
- 2Scald milk, then add butter, sugar and salt. Let cool to lukewarm.
- 3Pour milk mixture into lg. mixing bowl. Stir in dissolved yeast; add spices and 2 1/2 c. flour. Beat with electric mixer on low, 30 seconds., scraping often. Beat at high speed 2 min.
- 4Beat in 3 c. flour, by hand. Turn on to well floured surface and knead 8-10 min (adding flour as needed to keep from being sticky). Place in greased bowl, let rise until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.
- 5Divide dough into 4 parts; divide those into 3 parts, roll into ropes and braid.
Place on greased cookie sheet; let rise until double, about 45 min.
- 6Bake at 350 for 20 min, or until golden brown. Brush with 1 beaten egg and 1 T. water, right out of oven.