★★★★★ 1 vote5
- 1 egg
- about 4 cups all purpos flour
- about 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tbs sugar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 envelope active dry yeast
- 1 and 3/4 cups milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tbs butter or margarine
How to Make English Muffins
- 1In large bowl of mixer stir together 2 cups flour, the sugar, salt, and dry yeast. Set aside
- 2Heat milk, water and butter until very warm (120 - 130 degrees). Add gradually to yeast-flour mixture and beat at medium speed 2 minutes.
- 3Add egg and 1 cup flour; beat at high speed 2 minutes.
- 4Stir in just enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, adding more remaining flour if dough is sticky.
- 5Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm draft-free place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch down.
- 6Cover and let rise again until double, about 45 minutes. Punch down.
- 7On lightly floured surface roll out 1/2 inch thick. With 3-1/4-inch round cutter (or clean tuna can opened at both ends) cut out muffins.
- 8Sprinkle cookie sheets lightly with cornmeal. Add muffins about 1 inch apart. Sprinkle with additional cornmeal. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 9Heat lightly greased griddle or heavy skillet. With wide metal spatula carefully remove muffins (do not compress or puncture muffins or they will collapse) to griddle.
- 10Bake over very low heat 8 to 10 minutes on each side until light brown. (muffins should sound hollow when tapped.)
- 11Cool on racks. To serve, split with fork tines; toast.