How to Make English Muffins in the Bread Machine
- Put ingredients in the machine in the order listed according to the manufacturer, except the cornmeal.
- Start up the dough cycle.
- When the cycle is finished, sprinkle corn meal over your work area.
- Divide dough into eight equal piece and pat each piece into a 1/2" thick round.
- Then, turn each round in dish of cornmeal.
- Place the rounds on a baking sheet, cover and let rise for 20-30 minutes -- until not quite double
- Heat a dry cast iron skillet or griddle over a low flame.
- Spray skillet with oil, then cook muffins about 5 - 7 minutes on each side. They should be golden brown when you turn them.
- Split the muffins with a fork or serrated knife and serve warm. (They also freeze well and can be toasted or reheated in the microwave.)