Down Home Southern Cornbread
I like to add about a half cup of sugar to get the top dark golden brown but, here is the original recipe that she gave me.
How to Make Down Home Southern Cornbread
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- My mother in-law used a huge cast iron skillet but I used a 13x9 baking dish. What ever you have on hand. Put bacon drippings in pan and place pan in oven.
You can substitute vegetable oil or butter for the bacon drippings but everything is better with bacon. ;)
- stir the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Beat eggs then add them to buttermilk.
- Add egg mixture to dry ingredients and stir just till smooth, don't over do it.
- Pull hot pan out of oven and pour hot bacon drippings into mixture. stir till mixed.
- Immediately pour mixture into hot pan and bake for about 40 minutes or until the middle springs back when pressed.
- Slather on the butter and enjoy! :D