☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
1 1/2 tspyeast
1 3/4 cwater (70-75 degrees)
3 1/2 call purpose flour plus 1 tb extra
1 Tbspcornmeal or flour
How to Make Crusty Homemade Bread (Taste of Home Recipe)
- In small bowl dissolve yeast and water.
- In large bowl mix 3 1/2 cups of flour and salt. Using a rubber spatula stir in yeast mixture to form a soft, sticky dough. Do not knead. Cover with plastic wrap, let rise at room temperature 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto lightly floured surface, pat into 9 inch square. Fold square into thirds, forming a 9x3 inch rectangle. Fold rectangle into thirds, forming a 3 inch square. Turn dough over, place in a greased bowl. Cover ith plastic wrap, let rise room temperature until almost doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch down dough and repeat folding process. Return dough to bol, refrigerate over night covered.
- Dust bottom of disposable foil roasting pan with corn meal. Turn dough onto floured surface. Knead gently 6-8 times. Shape into 6 inch round loaf. Place in prepared pan, dust top with remaining 1 Tbs of flour. Cover pan with plastic wrap, let rise at room temp until dough expands to a 7 1/2 inch loaf, about 1 1/4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Using a sharp knife make a slash 1/4 inch deep across top of loaf. Cover pan tightly with foil,bake on lowest oven rack 25 minutes.
- Reduce oven setting to 450. Remove foil, bake bread 25-30 minutes longer or until deep golden brown. Remove loaf to wire rack to cool. Yield 1 loaf - 16 slices