★★★★★ 1 vote5
- non-stick cooking spray
- 1 large
- 1 1/3 c
- milk or 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 c
- vegetable oil
- 2 c
- self-rising enriched white corn meal mix
How to Make Crispy Southern Cornbread
- 1Heat oven to 450. Coat 8-9 inch ovenproof skillet (cast iron skillet works best) with cooking spray. Place skillet in oven 7-8 minutes until hot.
- 2Beat egg in medium bowl. Stir in milk, oil, and corn meal mix until smooth. Batter should be creamy and pourable. If to thick, add 1 to 2 tablespoons more milk. sprinkle a little cornmeal over bottom and sides of hot skillet for crisp. Pour batter into pan.
- 3Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.