Cranberry Orange Ginger Scones
These are lovely! They have the perfect texture. The cranberries come out soft and delightful. These would be great with tea and coffee... or maybe a glass of eggnog or hot chocolate.
The key to a proper scone is to not over mix. Make sure to add the cream slowly to the dry ingredients until right consistency is achieved. I didn't need to add all the cream the recipe states.
- 3 3/4 c
- all purpose flour
- 1/2 c
- 4 1/2 tsp
- baking powder
- 1/2 tsp
- 2 tsp
- dried orange peel (very fine) or 4 teaspoon(s) fresh zested orange peel
- 1 1/2 c
- dried cranberries
- 1 1/2 tsp
- very finely chopped candied ginger ( do not try to use just dried ginger as it will not work the same)
- 2 c
- whipping cream (for a less fat version you can use 1/2 & 1/2 but they won' t be as rich)
- 1/2 - 3/4 c
How to Make Cranberry Orange Ginger Scones
- 1Spray 2-4 cookie sheets with non stick spray. Preheat oven to 375*F.
- 2In small bowl combine the cranberries and candied ginger with 1/2 cup of the flour. In large bowl mix together rest of flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and orange peel. combine both bowls into the large bowl.
- 3In small bowl combine the cream and 1/2 cup of the milk. Add slowly to the dry ingredients and combine to make a soft dough. If needed add the remaining milk by tablespoonfuls to get a soft but workable dough.
- 4Turn out onto lightly floured board and pat or roll into 3/4 inch thickness. Cut into triangles about 2 1/2 inches across at the base. A pizza wheel works well for this. Place on baking sheets. Bake 15-20 minutes until puffed, lightly golden browned and cooked through.
- 5Serve with your choice of butter, cream, jams or jellies.