Classic Australian Damper with Golden Syrup Butter
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
3 cself-rising flour
2 tspcaster sugar (super fine sugar)
1/3 cbutter, softened
·extra milk, for brushing
·extra flour, for dusting
·golden syrup, to drizzle (optional)
GOLDEN SYRUP BUTTER:
6 Tbspbutter, softened
2 Tbspgolden syrup
How to Make Classic Australian Damper with Golden Syrup Butter
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Grease and flour a round baking pan; set aside. (You can substitute and use a flat parchment-lined baking sheet, but using a round baking pan helps to better shape the bread.)
- Sift flour and sugar into a mixing bowl. Add the butter, and rub butter into the flour mixture until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Make a well in the center of the mixture, and add the milk. Stir until a dough forms. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead gently until smooth. Shape into a round ball, and place in prepared baking pan.
- Using a sharp knife, score a shallow cross into the top of the damper. Brush the top with milk, and dust lightly with flour.
- Bake in preheated over for 35 to 40 minutes or until damper is golden brown and sounds hollow then tapped on top. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly.
- To make the Golden Syrup Butter: Using an electric mixer, beat butter and golden syrup until smooth. Serve with warm Damper, and drizzle extra golden syrup on top, if desired.