They are great for breakfast, brunch or a snack. Serve with butter and jam.
1 3/4 call purpose flour
3-5 Tbspsugar (use 5 tbsp sugar for a sweeter scone)
2 tspbaking powder
1/2 tspbaking soda
1/3 ccold butter
1/2 cdried cherries (or dried fruit of your choice)
1/2 cchopped nuts (your favorite)
1egg, slightly beaten
·note: no buttermilk? use 1/3 cup milk with 1 tsp of lemon juice added. let stand a few minutes
How to Make Cherry Scones
- Preheat oven to 400°.
Line baking sheeet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cut butter in with a pastry blender until mixture forms coarse crumbs.
- Mix in dried fruit and nuts.
- Add egg and buttermilk. Stir just until mixture holds together. Dough will be sticky. (If too dry, add another tablespoon of buttermilk)
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead about 8-10 times. Pat into about a 9-in circle. Cut into 8-12 wedges.
- Place on parchment lined baking sheet and bake 12 - 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to rack to cool.