5 cupsall purpose flour
2 tspkosher salt
1 cupwarm water (110 degrees)
2 1/2 tspactive dry yeast ( packet)
1/4 cupvegetable oil
2 largeeggs + 1 yolk
ONE HEAVY COOKIE SHEET LINED WITH PARCHMENT
How to Make Challah Bread
- Place flour sugar and salt in work bowl of food processor fitted with metal blade. Pulse until mixed
- Place water in a mixing bowl and whisk in the yeast. Whisk in the oil, eggs and yolk.
- Add the liquid to the work bowl and pulse 8-10 times until the dough forms a ball. Let rest 5 minutes, then run the machine continuously for 30 seconds.
- Turn dough out onto floured work surface. Knead the dough lightly to form a ball. Place into an oiled bowl, turn to coat all sides. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow the dough to rise at room temp until doubled, about an hour.
- Turn risen dough out onto floured work surface, press with palms to deflate. Divide into 3 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a cylinder, 12-15 "
- Arrange side by side on prepared pan. Begin braid from the middle, braid to one end, turn pan around and braid from the middle to the other end. Pinch each end to seal together and turn pinched ends under the loaf.
Cover with oiled plastic wrap and allow to rise at room temp until doubled, about an hour
- When almost doubled, set a rack in middle of oven and preheat to 400 degrees
- Brush the top and sides with egg wash (1 egg beaten with a pinch of salt )
Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and internal temp 210