Carols Cream Cheese Guava Pastry
6 ozcream cheese, softened
1/4 tsppure vanilla extract
5 ozguava preserves or paste (about 2/3 cup)
1 Tbspfresh lemon juice
1 sheet(s)frozen puff pastry (from a 17-1/4 oz package) thawed
How to Make Carols Cream Cheese Guava Pastry
- Preheat oven to 425 with rack in the middle.
- Beat egg with a fork, then put 1-1/2 tablespoons egg in a small bowl with water (1/2 tablespoon) and lightly beat to make egg wash.
- Put remaining beaten egg in a food processor with cream cheese, sugar and vanilla and puree until smooth. Transfer to a small bowl.
- Puree guava preserves with lemon juice in cleaned food processor until smooth.
- Put a baking sheet in the oven to preheat 5 minutes while you prepare pastry.
- Roll out pastry on a floured work surface with a floured rolling pin into an 11x7-1/2 inch rectangle. Cut rectangle in half crosswise.
- Transfer 1 piece of pastry to a sheet of foil. Spread cream cheese mixture in a 3-1/2 inch wide strip down middle of pastry, leaving 1-inch enerders on all sides.
- Dollop 2 rows of preserves lengthwise on top of cheese mixture, about 1-inch apart.
- Fold remaining piece of pastry in half lengthwise and put folded edge nearest you.
- Leaving a 1 inch border on sides and on sides and top with pastry, cut 1-1/2 inch long slits every 1/2 inch through folded edges to top border.
- Brush some of the egg wash around filling. Unfold cut pastry and lay over filling.
- Lightly press edges to seal and brush top of dough with some egg wash.
- Bake on foil on hot baking sheet until puffed and golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Transfer pastry to a rack to cool completely.