2 pkgactive dry yeast - 4oz ea.
1 cwaem water (110 - 115 degrees)
1/3 cbutter, softened
4 1/2 -- 5 call purpose flour
1 Tbspcold water
How to Make Bread Braid
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve the yeast in warm water, let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add butter, surgar, salt, eggs, and 3 cups of flour to the yeast mixture. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Stir enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn out onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth & elastic, anout 6-8 minutes.
- Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease all sides. Cover and let rest in a warm place until doubled, about an hour.
- Punch down dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide dough into four pieces; shape each piece into an 18" rope.
- Place ropes parallel to each on a greased baking sheet. Beginning from the right side, braid dough by placing the first rope over the second, under the third and over the fourth. Repeat 3 or 4 times, beginning each time from the right side. Pinch ends to seal and tuck under. Cover with tea towel and let rest until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
- Beat egg yolk & water and brush over braid. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or untilgolden brown.