Big Poufy Buns
1/2 cwarm water 90-100 degrees
1 cwarm milk 90-100 degrees
1/2 cbutter, soft, divided
2 call purpose flour
2 cbread flour
2 tspkosher salt or 1 1/4 tsp. table salt
1 Tbspplus 1 teaspoon instant yeast or 2 pkgs.
How to Make Big Poufy Buns
- Use your bread machine to mix and knead the dough and you will get a much more tender roll than if you mixed and kneaded by hand. In the order suggested by your bread machine manufacturer add the ingredients and half of the butter.
- Grease a 13x9" pan with 2 tablespoon butter (reduce this to 1 tablespoon if not using pizza stone).
- Set bread machine to the dough cycle. My machine's cycle is 1 hour 20 minutes. Remove the dough from the pan and let rest for 10 minutes, covered with a damp, clean tea towel.
- Divide dough into 12 equal pieces and shape into balls. Place into the greased baking dish 3 across and 4 down. They fit perfectly in a 9x13" pan. Cover again with a damp tea towel and let rise for 30 - 40 minutes until ALMOST doubled.
- Bake in a pre-heated 350 oven for 22 - 25 minutes. check them at 20 minutes. THIS PART IS IMPORTANT - bake on a pizza stone if you have one and make sure you put them in the bottom third of the oven or the bottom of the rolls will be pale and soggy. Preheat the oven for at least 20 minutes to make sure the stone is really hot. If you do not have a pizza stone well you should definitely get one but bake the rolls on the bottom rack of your oven.
- If they brown too fast you can lay a sheet of foil over them after 15 minutes. Remove them from the oven and brush them with softened butter - go ahead, don't be shy, use 2 Tablespoons.. do it. Just do it.
- Notes:I just put my water, milk and butter in a small pan on low to heat while i measure everything out. You can do this by hand just make sure to knead for about 10 minutes till dough is elastic and no longer sticky. Machine makes it a breeze. Kitchen-aid mixer will knead it for you in about 5-7 minutes. These are substantial rolls and sometimes people can only eat one and may not even finish that so you can make 24 rolls just divide dough in 24 even amounts but still use 9x13. Be sure and use real butter, no margarine. Also if you do not have bread flour then regular flour will work almost as good.