Basic White Bread
I already told santa I want bigger one with enough power to run a MACH TRUCK.. (don't think I'm going to get it).. Oh well a girl can dream
This recipe makes 2 loaves. I make about 10 loaves a week. This is one of the simplest breads to make and super easy.
How to Make Basic White Bread
- In a large bowl, add the water,salt,sugar and yeast
stir and let set for 10 minutes, don't worry you dont have to be exact.. I've often started yaking across the fence and let it set for 1/2 hour.. of course I didn't tell my family , but nobody seemed to notice a difference...
- When nice and foamy add 5 cups of the flour and mix with dough hook on the KA low until well mixed.
(If you dont have a stand up mixer )
Just use a wooden spoon until mixed.. better yet pass it down to any grandie that happens to be standing in the kitchen at the time and run and check your email.. All righty now..lets move along
- When mixed well add the last 2 cups of flour, transfer to a well oiled deep bowl.(Ummmm I kinda forget this step..and leave in my KA bowl) less dishes to wash.ummm don't tell granny she goes by the book and I do mean by The Book
- I grab a plastic grocery bag as I have an over abundance of them at times, saves on my plastic wrap.
cover loosely for 1 hour or until doubled in size
- Then smack down the dough a few times, don't worry your not going to bruise it.divide in half into 2 lightly oil sprayed bread pans with a touch of cornmeal or flour on the bottom and raise again for about 45 min to an hour
- I keep a small pint jar in the frige with an egg and little bit of milk and shake it up and brush the tops of the bread before baking for a softer crust
- About 10 min before I'm ready to bake I crank the oven up to 400 degrees and put on some water to boil, also put an old cake pan on your bottom rack
- Put the bread in the oven and add some of the boiling water to that preheated cake pan on the bottom rack
- Be careful the oven is hot and the water will create some steam... be very careful.. you don't need a lot just about 2 cups should do it..
This will create some steam action for the bread to rise and create a nice crusty botton and top..
- After 10 min with the oven at 400 degrees turn the oven down to 350 -375... for about 45 min or until the crust in nice and brown