Auntie Lynn's Cashew Bread
I love to make mini loaves and wrap them for the holidays to give as special gifts.
How to Make Auntie Lynn's Cashew Bread
- 1I use a 9"x4.5" glass loaf pan. If I am making a large loaf I fill the pan to the top, or halfway for a small loaf (using two pans).
- 2Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Line the loaf pan with parchment paper.
- 3Grind the cashews in a food processor or a blender at high speed until you create flour. Grind it as fine as you can get it. If there are a few grains left it's ok.
- 4Using a food processor, or by hand, mix together; cashew flour, egg yolks, lemon juice, buttermilk, maple syrup and baking soda. Blend well.
- 5Beat the egg whites with the salt until stiff (peaks will form).
- 6By hand, gently fold the batter into the egg whites little by little until it is incorporated.
- 7Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. The smaller loaves may cook for less time, and the larger loaf a little longer.
- 8Test the loaf for doneness with a toothpick or long wooden match until it comes out clean - dry not wet. The loaf will be brown.
- 9Slice when cooled. It will keep at room temp for about 3 days, or refrigerated for one week. You can also freeze it for several months.