Amish white Bread
How to Make Amish white Bread
- In large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, then stir in the yeast, allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam (about 10 min)
- Mix salt and oil into yeast, Mix in flour one cup at a time. **This recipe calls for 6 cups but I use about 5, enough for the dough to be soft and pull away from the sides of the bowl and is slightly sticky.
- Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth.
- Place into a well oiled bowl, turn to coat, cover with damp cloth and allow to rise until doubled, about 1 hour
- Punch dough down, knead lightly and divide dough in half.
Shape into two loaves and place into well oiled 9x5 bread loaf pans, allow to rise until double about 40 minutes or until dough has risen 1 inch about the pans
- Bake at 350 for thirty minutes or until golden brown on top and hollow sounding to the tap.
after removing from oven brush tops lightly with butter.