Summer Berry Muffins
You can also use fresh fruit, chopped apples, apricots, peaches or strawberries or dried fruit such as, raisins, cranberries or dates.
- 1/2 c
- whole wheat flour
- 1/3 c
- white flour
- 1 Tbsp
- baking powder
- 3/4 c
- mixed fresh berries, blueberries or strawberries
- 2 Tbsp
- reduced fat margarine spread
- 1/4 c
- light brown sugar
- 1 medium
- egg, beaten
- 1 c
- fat-free milk
How to Make Summer Berry Muffins
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Use paper muffin liners to line a 9-cup muffin tray or coat with cooking spray.
- 2Sift the flours, baking powder, and salt into a bowl. Gently fold in the mixed berries.
- 3Melt the margarine gently in a small saucepan, then add the sugar, egg and milk and mix until smooth. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the liquid ingredients into the well. Gently fold the ingredients together, mixing just until combined. The batter will be lumpy.
- 4Spoon the batter into the muffin cups, filling each about two-third's full. Bake until the muffins are golden brown, about 18 to 20 minutes.
- 5Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly, then serve warm. The muffins can be kept in an airtight container for 1 to 2 days.
- 6Pear and Cinnamon Oatmeal muffins: Mix 3/4 cups self rising whole wheat flour, 1/4 cup oat bran, 1 tsp. baking powder, 1 1/2 tsps. ground cinnamon, and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Fold in 1 peeled and chopped pear. In a separate bowl, mix together 2 tbsp. melted reduced fat margarine spread, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 2 eggs and 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp. orange juice. Pour this over the flour mixture and fold the ingredients together. Spoon into 9 muffins tins and bake as in the main recipe.