Summer Berry Muffins
You can also use fresh fruit, chopped apples, apricots, peaches or strawberries or dried fruit such as, raisins, cranberries or dates.
★★★★★ 1 vote5
1/2 cwhole wheat flour
1/3 cwhite flour
1 Tbspbaking powder
3/4 cmixed fresh berries, blueberries or strawberries
2 Tbspreduced fat margarine spread
1/4 clight brown sugar
1 mediumegg, beaten
1 cfat-free milk
How to Make Summer Berry Muffins
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Use paper muffin liners to line a 9-cup muffin tray or coat with cooking spray.
- Sift the flours, baking powder, and salt into a bowl. Gently fold in the mixed berries.
- Melt the margarine gently in a small saucepan, then add the sugar, egg and milk and mix until smooth. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour the liquid ingredients into the well. Gently fold the ingredients together, mixing just until combined. The batter will be lumpy.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups, filling each about two-third's full. Bake until the muffins are golden brown, about 18 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly, then serve warm. The muffins can be kept in an airtight container for 1 to 2 days.
- Pear and Cinnamon Oatmeal muffins: Mix 3/4 cups self rising whole wheat flour, 1/4 cup oat bran, 1 tsp. baking powder, 1 1/2 tsps. ground cinnamon, and a pinch of salt in a bowl. Fold in 1 peeled and chopped pear. In a separate bowl, mix together 2 tbsp. melted reduced fat margarine spread, 1/4 cup granulated sugar, 2 eggs and 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp. orange juice. Pour this over the flour mixture and fold the ingredients together. Spoon into 9 muffins tins and bake as in the main recipe.