Diabetic Pumpkin Sticky Bun Muffins
- 1 c
- chopped pecans
- whole pecans
- 1 stick
- butter, melted
- 1/3 c
- firmly packed splenda brown sugar blend
- 2 Tbsp
- sugar-free maple-flavored syrup
- 2 c
- all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 c
- whole-wheat flour
- 1 2/3 c
- splenda granulated
- 1 c
- granulated sugar*
- 1 Tbsp
- pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp
- ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp
- baking soda
- 1 tsp
- 1 (15-oz) can(s)
- 1 c
- canola oil
- 4 large
- 2/3 c
How to Make Diabetic Pumpkin Sticky Bun Muffins
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Spray 24 to 30 muffin cups lightly with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- 2Spread the pecans out on a cookie sheet with sides and toast in the oven for about 5 to 10 minutes or until lightly toasted, stirring once; set aside.
- 3In a small bowl combine the melted butter, brown sugar blend, and maple-flavored syrup until well blended. Place one teaspoon of the butter mixture into each of the muffin cups. Sprinkle with a teaspoon plus of the chopped nuts and place 1 pecan half in each cup. Use all the chopped nuts. Set aside.
- 4In a large mixing bowl, combine the two flours. When flours are well blended add the Splenda, sugar, pie spice, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt stirring to mix together well. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients.
- 5Using a wire whisk, whisk together the pumpkin, canola oil, eggs, and water. Add the pumpkin mixture to the well of the dry ingredients and blend together with a silicone spatula just until moistened.
- 6Spoon the batter into the muffin cups atop the butter mixture and nuts. Fill each cup approximately 3/4 full. Place in 350 degree oven and bake approximately 25 minutes until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 7Remove muffins from the oven and immediately invert onto the cookie sheet you used to toast the nuts. Gently replace any nuts left in the muffin cups to the top of the muffins, pressing down gently to stick in place. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes before eating.
- 8Tip: These are really good warm.
- 9*If your diabetes is hard to control, use an additional cup of Splenda instead of the sugar.
- 10Note: As you can probably tell from the picture, I added some chopped peanuts because I only had a handful of pecans since this was a last minute decision. The peanuts were great but next time I will use all pecans, just because pecans are my favorite nuts.