1 largeegg, lightly beaten
1 cmilk or milk alternative
1/4 cbutter, melted
1 cdry bread crumbs* (see alternate suggestion)
1 Tbspbaking powder
1 tspmixed herbs, dried (optional)
How to Make Ragamuffins
- Melt the butter in a microwave safe mixing bowl.
- While the butter is melting, in another mixing bowl, sift together with a whisk the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and herbs, if desired, until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- Add milk and egg to the melted butter. Whisk together slightly until blended.
Stir bread crumbs into the milk mixture. Set aside to soak a few minutes.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the milk and crumb mixture, stirring just until all is moistened and combined.
- Fill muffin cups, that have been prepared with food release spray, about 2/3 full.
Bake 25 minutes at 375*.
- NOTES: Use whatever herbs you like, or none at all. I've even crunched up French Fried Onions in them :)
Keep bread heels in a bag in the freezer, for a quick whirl in the food processor -- any combination will do! Or just defrost slightly and cube them. Use about three heels for 2 c. of cubes.
I like to keep dry stuffing mix on hand. When I'm in a hurry I sub 2 c. of the croutons for the bread crumbs -- and they're already seasoned :)
Why not try them using leftover dressing or stuffing? Don't forget to adjust the amount of milk and butter. So wonderful with a bowl of soup!
I use my DeMarle muffin trays, for super easy release. If you don't have one -- I highly recommend it!
*This recipe is easily made gluten free by using GF bread crumbs or cubes, and GF all purpose baking flour.