- 1 3/4 c
- mixed white and yellow cornmeal (50-50)
- 1 Tbsp
- baking powder
- 1/4 c
- ap flour
- 1/4 tsp
- eggs beaten
- 1 tsp
- 1 tsp
- 2 c
- buttermilk (1 cups for a coarse type cornbread)
- 2 Tbsp
- cooking oil or bacon grease
How to Make Cornbread
- 1Heat 8 or 9 inch skillet in 450 degree f oven.
Mix the dry ingredients blending well.
Beat the two eggs well
Stir the buttermilk and eggs quickly into the dry ingredients just mixing to moisten all.
- 2Take the Hot skillet out of oven, add the oil and pour in the batter quickly. See how the edges are already cooking? Actually my pan could have been hotter, but as stated before.. trying to get it made quickly on Thanksgiving day. Set in the center of the oven for 20 minutes. Check with a tooth pick to make sure it's done.
- 3Take out of the skillet immediately so the bottom does not get steamed and soft.
Best when fresh baked, leftovers can be frozen for cornbread dressing.