Ethiopian flatbread (himbasha)
7 gactive dry yeast
1 cwarm water
4 cunbleached white flour
2 tspblack sesame seeds
2 tspground cardamom
1/3 cvegetable oil
·vegetable oil, for brushing
How to Make Ethiopian flatbread (himbasha)
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. Stir in sugar and set aside in a warm, draft-free place for 10 minutes or until mixture bubbles.
- Combine flour, 1 tsp salt, sesame seeds and cardamom in a large bowl. Add oil and yeast mixture and mix to form a dough.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead for 5 minutes or until smooth. Place in a lightly greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and set aside in a warm, draft-free place for 1 hour or until dough doubles in size.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease 2 10-inch cast iron skillets. Divide dough into 2 equal portions. Roll out to form 2 x 10-inch rounds. Place into greased skillet pans. Using a sharp knife, score 3 concentric circles in each round, working from the middle out, then make 8 shallow cuts intersecting through the center to form a wheel pattern.
- Brush with oil and bake for 20 minutes or until cooked through and golden. Brush with butter and serve with hummus, if desired.