This is a special treat for the family and a wonderful family tradition.
Recipe makes 2 loaves.
1/4 cshortening, plus extra to greasing pans
1/3 cwater, warm
2 pkgactive dry yeast
3 - 31/2 cflour
1/4 cbutter, softened
1/2 cpacked, dark brown sugar
2 cground toasted walnuts
1 Tbsporang rind (optional)
How to Make Grandma's Potica
- Scald milk
Add sugar, salt and 1/4 C shortening
Cool to lukewarm
- Measure water (warm, not hot) into a large bowl
Stir until dissolved
Stir yeast into luke warm milk mixture
- Put half the flour into a large bowl
Add milk/yeast mixture
Beat until smooth
- Cover and let rise in a warm place, free from drafts until double in bulk, about one hour.
- Roll up jelly roll fashion, starting at the long side.
Cut roll into 3 equal pieces.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until dough rounds slightly above the top of the pans, about one hour.