Grandma's Brown Bread
Mary Ann Hanson
How to Make Grandma's Brown Bread
- Spray or grease 3 clean #3 cans (like from corn or beans). Sprinkle a couple of spoons of flour in one and roll around to coat. Pour the flour into the next one and repeat. Continue this with the third can. Discard reamining flour. Place cans in a cake pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine raisins, and soda. Add butter. Pour over the 1 cup of hot water and stir. Let set until cool.
- Add reamining ingredients and mix until smooth.
- Divide batter amongst the three cans. Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick or cake tester comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool for a few minutes in the cans. Run a knife around the outside of the can and invert onto a clean dishtowel. Finish cooling.
- If the bread does not come out, punch a hole in the bottom of the can to release the vacuum.