2 packagesrapid rising active dry yeast
1 cupwarm cream or milk or almond milk
half cupcanola oil or coconut cooking oil or nutiva coconut palm oil shortening melted
6 tbsp.cane sugar
5 cupsunbleached wheat pastry flour
How to Make Czechoslovakian Kolache
- Warm 1 cup cream or milk in a pyrex measuring cup in the microwave for 40 seconds to where it is not too warm to touch and add 1 package active dry yeast and 6 tablespoons sugar and half cup canola oil or butter.
- In a large mixing bowl add 4 cups unbleached wheat pastry flour, 6 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 large eggs, the mixture of 1 cup warm cream, half cup canola oil, & package of active dry yeast. Mix together and knead into dough ball. Let rise for 3 hours.
- Make fruit filling or poppy seed filling by adding 1 cup fruit, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup water, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, & 1 teaspoon pure vanilla to double boiler.
- For cream cheese filling; add 1 package cream cheese, honey or light agave nectar, & 1 teaspoon of vanilla, & blend in pyrex high speed blender until smooth.
- Make egg wash by beating 1 large egg & 1 teaspoon of water and add to dough ball after letting rise 3 hours and knead into dough ball.
- Cut parchment paper to fit aluminum baking pan or sheet. Make kolache by making 12 rolls of dough with indentation in the middle. Add a teaspoon full of filling to center of each roll.
- Make egg wash by beating 1 egg with 1 teaspoon water and cover the filled rolls with egg with your fingers.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and bake 20-25 minutes until the rolls are golden brown.
- If there is egg left over; make an omelet by microwaving on 50% power for 1 minute 15 seconds in shallow dish.