Boston Brown Bread - gluten free
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
3/4 csorghum flour
3/4 cyellow cornmeal
1/2 cbrown rice flour
1/4 cwhite rice flour
1/2 tspxanthum (or guar) gum
1/2 c(unsulphered) molasses
3/4 ccurrants, dates, raisins &/or nuts - optional
How to Make Boston Brown Bread - gluten free
- Preheat oven to 325 & lightly grease & rice flour a 9x5 inch loaf pan (or divide batter into 2-3 smaller pans)
- In medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Add wet ingredients & mix 'til combined (about 30 seconds)(usemedium-high speed on hand held mixer ormedium on stand mixer)
- Stir in additions if using.
- Spoon batter into prepared pan(s) and cover with a piece of greased foil. Fasten the foil tightly over the edges of the pan. This allows the bread to steam as opposed to baking.
- Place the loaf (loaves) into the preheated oven for 45 minutes. Carefully remove the foil and bake the bread an additional 10 minutes. (use extra care removing foil so as not to get a steam burn!)
- Remove bread from the oven and place pan(s) on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove bread from the pan(s) and allow to cool entirely on the wire rack.
Makes 1 loaf (or 2-3 small/mini loaves)
- Note: Don't be alarmed to see that the bread has risen only slightly. This is normal! It is a dense bread with an almost yeast-bread texture.