Aunt June's Bread and Cinnamon Rolls 1998
- 5 Tbsp
- yeast (dry)
- 1 c
- water, warm
- 1/2 tsp
- 5 c
- 2 1/2 Tbsp
- 5 Tbsp
- 4 large
- 1 1/4 c
- 20 c
- flour, sifted
- 3 Tbsp
- 1 1/2 c
- 3 c
- brown sugar, packed
- 1 c
- 4 tsp
- 2 c
- raisins, optional
- 2 c
- nuts, chopped, optional
FOR CINNAMON ROLLS
How to Make Aunt June's Bread and Cinnamon Rolls 1998
- 1Aunt June did not use regular tablespoon, measuring spoons, she used the serving spoons that came with her silverware set. (The spoons that are larger than the soup spoons). And they need to be heaping.
- 2In a bowl (3 cup) mix yeast in 1 cup warm water, sprinkle the 1/2 teaspoon sugar in the mixture, this makes the yeast and water blend easier. Set aside.
- 3In a large "Fix n Mix" bowl (Tupperware) or one the same size with a lid, mix water, salt, oil, eggs and milk together until well mixed.
- 4Stir in 2 cups of flour, mix well, now stir in yeast mixture and blend together.
- 5Gradually mix in flour a cup or so at a time, until dough holds together, but NOT stiff and hard. You will use 18 to 20 cups of flour.
- 6Cover and set aside away from any drafts until dough rises above bowl and pops the lid.
- 7Knead down and divide dough as needed. In 4ths for bread or small round balls for dinner rolls.
- 8Place in well greased bread pans (I prefer my cast iron pans) or 9X13 pans for rolls. 2 or 3 depending on how large you make your rolls. Cover and let double in size.
- 9Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes for rolls or 30 minutes for bread or until the top is golden brown. Take out of oven and rub butter over the tops. Wait about 5 to 10 minutes then take out of pans. Cover with towel.
- 10FOR CINNAMON ROLLS:
- 11Add the 3 tablespoons of sugar when first mixing the water, salt, oil, milk and eggs. Then follow the rest of the directions let rise in bowl until lid pops.
- 12I usually divide my dough into 4ths to do my cinnamon rolls. So I use 1/4 of each of the ingredients listed to spread on the dough.
- 13Roll out dough 1/2 inch thick, rub with butter, sprinkle with brown sugar, sugar, cinnamon, nuts, raisins and roll.
- 14Slice in 1 1/2 inch slices, place in buttered pan. I like to sprinkle with additional brown sugar, cinnamon, nuts mixed together sprinkle on the bottom of the pan before placing the rolls. Cover and let rise until double in size. Bake in 400 degree oven until golden brown about 30 minutes.
- 15Let set 5 minutes then turn out onto plate. Don't let them get cold in pan if you place the brown sugar mixture on the bottom or they will be really hard to get out.