Traditional White Bread
How to Make Traditional White Bread
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm water.
- Stir in shortening and salt and 2 cups of the flour.
- Stir in remaining flour a 1/2 cup at a time, beating well after each addition.
- When dough has pulled together, turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 8 min.
- Lightly oil a large bowl, place dough in the bowl and turn to coat with oil. Cover with damp cloth and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size (about 1 hour)
- Deflate the dough and turn onto floured surface, divide into 2 equal pieces and form into loaves. Let rise until doubled in size.
- Pre heat oven to 350 degrees and bake until golden brown 30-35 min. Test for doneness by tapping on the bottom of loaf and seeing if it sounds hollow.