Texas Green Chili Patty Melt
1 1/2 lbground beef
·salt and pepper to taste
1 mediumonion, sliced into rings and separated
2 Tbsp(heaping) diced green chilies (drained from canned) or fresh, roasted hatch chilies
2 slicecheddar cheese
2 slicemonterrey jack cheese
4 slice'texas toast' bread (1 inch thick slices)
·softened butter for toasting bread
1/2 stickbutter (divided) for cooking
1 Tbspmayo or salad dressing (for spread)
How to Make Texas Green Chili Patty Melt
- PREPARE INGREDIENTS FOR ASSEMBLY:
- COOK BEEF PATTIES: Season and seperate the ground beef into 4 patties and cook to your preference. Remove from heat, cover to keep warm and set aside.
- SAUTE ONIONS AND GREEN CHILIS: Heat 2 Tbsp. butter in skillet and sauté onions until slightly browned; add chopped green chilies and cook for @ 2 more minutes on medium-low heat. Remove to a bowl and set aside.the rest of the ingredients.
- PREPARE THE BREAD: Butter both sides of the 1 inch thick slices of bread and toast on a griddle.
Spread one side of each piece of bread with mayo.
1 slice of toasted bread, mayo side up
1 slice of cheddar cheese
One beef patty
Sautéed onions and green chilis
The other beef patty
1 slice of Monterrey Jack cheese
The other slice of toasted bread, mayo side down
Repeat assembly for the other sandwich.
- TO MELT THE CHEESES: Place the sandwich back on the griddle and cook for @ 2 minutes; flip the sandwich and cook for another 2 minutes until cheeses are melted.
- Serve with your favorite pickles and chips……