Texas Green Chili Patty Melt
- 1 1/2 lb
- ground beef
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium
- onion, sliced into rings and separated
- 2 Tbsp
- (heaping) diced green chilies (drained from canned) or fresh, roasted hatch chilies
- 2 slice
- cheddar cheese
- 2 slice
- monterrey jack cheese
- 4 slice
- 'texas toast' bread (1 inch thick slices)
- softened butter for toasting bread
- 1/2 stick
- butter (divided) for cooking
- 1 Tbsp
- mayo or salad dressing (for spread)
How to Make Texas Green Chili Patty Melt
- 1PREPARE INGREDIENTS FOR ASSEMBLY:
- 2COOK BEEF PATTIES: Season and seperate the ground beef into 4 patties and cook to your preference. Remove from heat, cover to keep warm and set aside.
- 3SAUTE ONIONS AND GREEN CHILIS: Heat 2 Tbsp. butter in skillet and sauté onions until slightly browned; add chopped green chilies and cook for @ 2 more minutes on medium-low heat. Remove to a bowl and set aside.the rest of the ingredients.
- 4PREPARE THE BREAD: Butter both sides of the 1 inch thick slices of bread and toast on a griddle.
Spread one side of each piece of bread with mayo.
1 slice of toasted bread, mayo side up
1 slice of cheddar cheese
One beef patty
Sautéed onions and green chilis
The other beef patty
1 slice of Monterrey Jack cheese
The other slice of toasted bread, mayo side down
Repeat assembly for the other sandwich.
- 6TO MELT THE CHEESES: Place the sandwich back on the griddle and cook for @ 2 minutes; flip the sandwich and cook for another 2 minutes until cheeses are melted.
- 7Serve with your favorite pickles and chips……