Sweet n Crispy Cheesy Jalapeno Corn Bread Waffles
Diane Hopson Smith
Adding a whisked egg seems to be the trick for these wonderful and crisy waffles or maybe it's the club soda.
I used the recipe on the box of my Jiffy mix, divided the liquid using 1/2 milk and 1/2 club soda, added a whisked egg white and then added my favorite flavors; cheddar and jalapeno.
Jiffy is a sweet corn bread mix and by adding the cheese and jalapeno's, this was a perfect corn bread to top with some homemade chili on a chilly/damp day. Or perfect to just munch on!
- (8.5-oz) pkg jiffy corn muffin mix or corn muffin mix you prefer
- 1 large
- egg, plus 1 egg white
- 2 Tbsp
- vegetable oil
- 1/4 c
- plus 2 tbsp milk
- 1/4 c
- plus 2 tbsp club soda
- 1/4 c
- sharp chedder cheese, shredded
- 1 to 2 Tbsp
- mince pickled jalapeno pepper rings
How to Make Sweet n Crispy Cheesy Jalapeno Corn Bread Waffles
- 1Heat waffle iron.
- 2Put cornbread mix in medium size mixing bowl.
- 3Whisk the egg white until stiff but not dry; set aside.
- 4Add remaining ingredients to cornbread mix (except for the egg white) and blend. Batter will be lumpy. Fold in egg white.
- 5Spray waffle iron with PAM. Add about 2 ice cream scoops of batter per waffle. (NOT a heaping spoonful). This will make smaller odd shaped (kinda round) waffles. If you like a solid round or square waffle by all means add enough batter to the waffle iron to make them.
- 6Cook in iron until they stop steaming, remove and top with chili and rice. Enjoy!
NOTE: Keep warm and crisp in oven set at 170 degrees F until ready to serve.
- 7Serve with your favorite homemade chili
Eliminate the jalapeno's and serve Chicken A La King over waffles.
Eliminate the jalapeno's and add pecans and serve with a chicken salad.
Add 1/4 cup shredded carrots or parsnips for varieity.