simple garlic & herb bread crumbs
michelle 'FLAME' kelley
- 1 large
- loaf of bread any kind really. i used rye and white
- 2 Tbsp
- minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp
- of each of the following, black pepper, sea salt,garlic powder,onion powder,basil,oregano,cumin,sage and chicken seasonings
- 2/3 c
- melted butter, not margarine
How to Make simple garlic & herb bread crumbs
- 1heat oven to 450, prepare three to four cookie sheets with a light spray of non stick or use a thin smear of crisco. set aside.
- 2take each slice of bread and place on cookie sheets. when oven is preheated place sheets in oven but watch carefully as to not burn. you want to toast the breading but not burn it.
- 3once toasted on both sides to a golden brown remove from oven . reduce heat to 350
- 4melt butter either in microwave or on stove top. once completely melted stir in all the seasonings mentioned above. you can cut the salt out completely if you want to lower sodium.
- 5mix the seasoning and butter well. then lightly brush both sides of the bread with the seasonings. place back on cookie sheets and back into your lower heated oven.
bake for another ten minutes on both sides. the bread will turn a dark brown but you don't want to burn the bread so be careful.
- 6shut your oven off and let cool with bread in the oven. open your oven door as to release the heat quicker. this will take about a half hour. let your toast cool but insure that your toast is dry on both sides of the bread. if not, turn your oven back on to 200 degrees. place toast back on sheets and back in the oven. this time let them sit in the cooler oven till the center of the bread is dry.i usually bring it to temp by preheating then shut the oven off. and with the door closed this time i let the oven cool again. once this is done and the bread is completely dry in the center i then place my bread in my food processor by breaking the bread into chunks and grinding it into coarse crumbs.
- 7the crumbs will stay fresh in a airtight container up to a week. do not place in the fridge as this will make the crumbs soggy and now be of any use.
- 818 slices of bread made enough seasoned crumbs to coat heavily four pounds of pork stew meat large chunks. with about 1/2 cup left over for something else.