Naenae's Honey Glazed Corn Bread
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 2 c
- unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 c
- 1/2 c
- brown sugar, firmly packed
- 2 Tbsp
- double-acting baking powder
- 2 tsp
- kosher salt
- large eggs
- 1 1/3 c
- sour milk or buttermilk *
- 2/3 c
- butter or margarine, melted; or vegetable oil
- 1/4 c
- 1/4 c
HONEY SIMPLE SYRUP:
How to Make Naenae's Honey Glazed Corn Bread
- 1Corn Bread: Preheat oven to 425*F. Grease 9”x13” baking pan.
- 2In medium bowl with a wire whisk, mix toether flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- 3In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and butter, margarine or oil. Pour egg mixture all at once into the flour mixture.
- 4Stir just until flour is moistened and immediately pour batter into the prepared baking pan.
- 5Spread batter evenly and bake in preheated 425*F oven for 25 to 35 minutes or until golden brown.
- 6Honey Simple Syrup: While corn bread is baking, In a small saucepan, combine the ¼ cup honey with the ¼ cup water. Heat over medium heat until honey is dissolved and a “Simple Syrup” is made. Set aside.
- 7Finishing Corn Bread: When it is ready, remove the freshly baked Corn Bread from the oven. Take a skewer or fork and poke holes, 1” apart, all over the corn bread. Carefully pour the Honey Simple Syrup all over the corn bread, brushing with a pastry brush to evenly distribute through all the holes. Let the corn bread sit for 5 minutes before slicing into squares and serving.
- 8Yields: 18 Servings
- 9NOTE: * If you do not have sour or buttermilk, you can make your own by adding 1 tsp. vinegar to 1 cup regular milk, stir and let set 5 minutes before using. (Any Milk = Whole, Low-Fat 2 or 1%, or Fat-Free). For this recipe add 1-1/2 teaspoons vinegar to the 1-1/3 cups milk.
If you do a half-recipe, try ¾ teaspoon vinegar to the 2/3 cup milk – also use an 8”x8” square pan for baking, and reduce baking time to 20 to 25 minutes.
- 10(Adapted from “The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook” Copyright 1980 by Hearst Corporation – ISBN 0-87851-037-0)