Irish Soda Bread
1 tspbaking powder
1 tspbaking soda
1 Tbspcaraway seeds
1 1/4 cbuttermilk
1egg, lightly beaten
2 Tbspbutter, melted
·cinnamon sugar (optional)
How to Make Irish Soda Bread
- Combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl. Cut in shortening until crumbly.
- Stir in raisins and caraway seeds.
- Combine buttermilk and egg. Add to the crumb mixture.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently 5 to 6 times.
- Divide dough in half, shape into 2 balls and pat each into a 6" round loaf. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- Using a sharp knife, cut a 4" cross about 1/4" deep on top of each loaf.
- Brush with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar, if desired.
- Bake at 375 for 40 - 45 minutes or until loaves are golden brown.