Edward De Bruin
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
8 call purpose flour
1 pkginstant yeast (10g)
1 qttepid water
·oil to fry
How to Make Hollow Vetkoek
- Add the flour into a bowl or kneading machine
- Add all the other ingredients to the bowl and knead until you have stiff dough
- Form dough into a ball then rub with olive oil and cover with plastic wrap so it won't dry out
- Let it rest for about 30 minutes
- On a lightly floured surface, punch down and roll out with a rolling pin to about 1/2 inch thick
- Rest the round dough pieces onto parchment paper until all is done.
- Heat the oil for deep frying while gathering the leftover cut dough
- Form the leftover dough into a ball and roll out again, then cut more round pieces.
- Take a small piece of the leftover dough and test the oil, the dough should sizzle
- When the oil is ready, take the round pieces of dough and carefully insert into the hot oil. Depending on the size of the pot, add a few at a time.
- Using a food tong, soon as the dough goes brown on the bottom, turn them with the tong so they can equally brown. Some might roll over by itself.
- The fried vetkoek will be ready to remove when it is golden brown all round, remove and let it rest on paper towels to absorb excess oil.