Edward De Bruin
☆☆☆☆☆ 0 votes0
- 8 c
- all purpose flour
- 1 pkg
- instant yeast (10g)
- 1 tsp
- 6 tsp
- 1 qt
- tepid water
- oil to fry
How to Make Hollow Vetkoek
- 1Add the flour into a bowl or kneading machine
- 2Add all the other ingredients to the bowl and knead until you have stiff dough
- 3Form dough into a ball then rub with olive oil and cover with plastic wrap so it won't dry out
- 4Let it rest for about 30 minutes
- 5On a lightly floured surface, punch down and roll out with a rolling pin to about 1/2 inch thick
- 7Rest the round dough pieces onto parchment paper until all is done.
- 8Heat the oil for deep frying while gathering the leftover cut dough
- 9Form the leftover dough into a ball and roll out again, then cut more round pieces.
- 10Take a small piece of the leftover dough and test the oil, the dough should sizzle
- 11When the oil is ready, take the round pieces of dough and carefully insert into the hot oil. Depending on the size of the pot, add a few at a time.
- 12Using a food tong, soon as the dough goes brown on the bottom, turn them with the tong so they can equally brown. Some might roll over by itself.
- 13The fried vetkoek will be ready to remove when it is golden brown all round, remove and let it rest on paper towels to absorb excess oil.