4 call purpose flour
3/4 cgranulated sugar
2 tspbaking soda
1/2 cbutter at room temperature
1 1/2 cbuttermilk at room temperature
2eggs at room temperature
1 ccraisins (optional)
zestfrom 1 orange (optional)
How to Make Easter Bread
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Stir together dry ingredients and zest. Add butter and cut in.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs and buttermilk. Reserve about 3-4 TBS of buttermilk/egg mixture and set aside. Add the rest to the flour mixture. Mix well.
- Pull out a chunk of dough, about 3/4 cup and set aside.
Add craisins to your bread dough (not the one you set aside) and form into a round shape and place on the cookie sheet. It will be sticky and will spread a little.
- With reserved dough, knead in more flour until a dough stiff enough to work with forms. Break into 2 pieces, one slightly larger than the other. Break each piece into 3 separate pieces and make 2 braids. Form into the shape of a cross. Tip: for a nice finish at the ends of your braids, simply tuck them underneath.
- Brush remaining buttermilk/egg mixture on your round bread. Add the cross and brush with buttermilk/egg mixture. This will give it a nice glossy finish. Place on center rack of a oven and bake for 30-40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Note: I live at 6400 feet, so my cook time is probably longer than yours if you're closer to sea level. Tastes wonderful slightly warm. Enjoy!