CLASSIC WHITE BREAD (SALLYE)
- 1 c
- milk, warmed to 105º
- 1/8 c
- olive oil or melted butter
- 3 c
- sifted bread flour
- 2 Tbsp
- granulated sugar
- 2 tsp
- 1 pkg
- rapid rise yeast (1-3/4 teaspoons)
IMPORTANT-ADD INGREDIENTS TO PAN IN ORDER LISTED
How to Make CLASSIC WHITE BREAD (SALLYE)
- 1In microwave, warm milk to 105º (about 20 seconds). Remove from microwave and whisk oil or melted butter into milk until well blended.
CAUTION: DO NOT OVERHEAT MILK. If it is too hot, it will kill the yeast action. If you don't have a thermometer, sprinkle a bit of milk on your inside wrist; it should be just lukewarm.
Gently pour into bread machine baking pan.
Sift flour, sugar and salt together (Note: You don't have to sift the flour, but I find it makes the bread lighter in texture)
Carefully pour over milk and oil mixture.
Make sure that all liquid is covered completely by flour
- 2Make a small depression in middle of flour and pour yeast into it.
Close lid and start bread machine in basic cycle.
OPTION NOTE: For a lighter textured bread, allow the bread machine to go through the first kneading cycle. Turn machine off and start up from the very beginning again. This will give the dough an extra knead which will result in a lighter bread.
- 3SECOND OPTION NOTE: If you wish to make yeast rolls, prepare this recipe per instructions EXCEPT set bread machine to dough cycle. When warning "ding" sounds, remove dough from bread machine and turn out onto a clean dry surface. Make balls of dough and place in lightly greased muffin tins and cover with clean porous towl. Balls should not fill the muffin tin cavity over 2/3 full. Set tins in warm dry area and allow to rise until double in size. Place in oven preheated to 350º F and cook for for about 25 minutes (until golden brown).
When bread is done, brush with melted butter (option).
Do not wrap until bread has cooled. Otherwise it will sweat and become limp.
This is a basic recipe. You can add dried herbs or fruits to the flour mixture if you wish.