2 cself raising flour
1 1/2 to 2 tspground ginger
1/2 cbutter, you can use margarine but the butter gives a better flavor.
1 2/3 ccastor sugar
1egg lightly beaten
How to Make Grantham Gingerbreads
- Preheat the oven to 150°C (300°F or Gas mark 2 or 140°C for a fan oven).
- Sift the flour and ginger into a bowl, and in a second bowl whisk the butter and sugar a hand held whisk is ideal for this.
- In a second bowl whisk the butter and sugar a hand held whisk is ideal for this.
- Prepare two baking sheets by either greasing or lining them with a non-stick tray liner.
- Add the egg to the butter and sugar making sure to mix it in well.
- Add the flour and ginger to the rest of the ingredients a little at a time to form a stiff dough.
- Break of pieces of dough about the size of walnut and place on your baking sheets. making sure to leave some space around them as they will flatten and spread out in the oven.
- Bake in the centre of your oven for 40 - 45 minutes. Then place them on a cooling rack for a few minutes, before tucking in!