English Cheese Scones
This particular recipe is a favourite of mine as it combines to of my favourite things to eat and is very simple make as there is no butter to cut in.
I like to make this using a smaller than normal cookie cutter as I usually make them along with other goodies for tea time or put a couple in my packed lunch to nibble on in the morning at work, after warming in the microwave for a few seconds.
- 2 c
- self raising flour
- 3 tsp
- baking powder
- large pinch of salt
- 2 tsp
- english mustard powder
- 3 oz
- extra mature english cheddar cheese
- 4 tsp
- vegetable oil
- 75 ml
- cold milk
- 75 ml
- cold water
How to Make English Cheese Scones
- 1Preheat the oven to 180C. Hand whisk together the oil, milk, water and egg and put to one side.
- 2In a large bowl mix the flour, baking powder, salt and mustard powder together. Then stir in the cheese to the flour mix.
- 3Add the milk mix to the flour mix and bring together to form a light soft dough.
- 4Roll out the dough on a floured work surface to about 3/4 inch thick and cut into rounds - size of your choosing.
- 5Lay a sheet of greaseproof paper or silicone sheet on a baking tray. Place the rounds on the baking tray about an inch apart and bake for about 15 - 20 minutes until they turn golden.
- 6Turn out on to wire rack. Serve whilst still warm with lashings of butter and a nice cup of tea.
Store in an airtight container and eat within 24 hrs. Re-warm in a microwave oven for a few seconds.